News Flash Home
The original item was published from 4/24/2018 3:04:12 PM to 1/1/2021 12:00:05 AM.

News Flash

Community Development

Posted on: April 24, 2018

[ARCHIVED] Basic Fencing Requirements

The Declaration of Reservations in Pueblo West requires that all improvements to property be applied for and approved prior to construction.  This includes fencing and the application process is how we can assist the property owner in assuring that your project is completed within the proper criteria.

First, a vacant property may be allowed to be fenced to protect it or establish visual verification of property lines.  Property that has not been developed with a house or commercial building may not be used for anything other than its intended use, so a fenced lot cannot be used for storage or pasture to locate horses until the principle structure has been constructed.

In the R zoned properties, the location of utility easements must remain accessible to utility company use and the easements are required to be maintained by the property owners.  In simple words, if you do not fence the utility easement that is located in the rear or along the side of your property, you still MUST cut and clear the weeds in the easement and along your fence lines.  Additionally, the location of a solid fence taller than 2’ in the front 25’ of your property is prohibited.  If you can’t see through it then don’t install it in the front of your house.

In A3 zoned properties, any P.U.E., D.E. & Equestrian Easement that comes into your property as designated on the recorded plat with a broken line, is required to be maintained by the property owner and NOT fenced.  These easements were plated in the original development of Pueblo West as access ways throughout the community for public utilities, drainage, and equestrian use.  In simple terms, don’t fence them and keep the weeds cut.  The same rule applies as in the R1 zoned areas, any fencing in the first 25’ front of your property cannot have a solid fence more than 2’ tall.

When you come into our offices to make application as required, we can assist you in determining where you can fence and where you cannot.  If you have a fencing contractor build your fence, be sure they know where your property pins are, where the easements are and that application is made for the fence prior to construction.  We have the recorded plats so we can tell you if you have an easement on your property or nearby.  The messages here are 1. You are required to make application for your fencing.  2.  Maintain the easements around you to help keep the weed growth down and the fire danger away from your property.

Facebook Twitter Email