News Flash Home
The original item was published from 8/16/2021 2:12:11 PM to 1/2/2022 12:00:03 AM.

News Flash

Public Works

Posted on: August 16, 2021

[ARCHIVED] Developing on Unaccepted Roads

PWMD grader-001

As development increases in Pueblo West, we want to take time to address a concern with those who are buying, selling, and building in our community. In the founding of the Metro District, the Service Plan sought to assure residents of what its local government would provide in the future regarding essential or necessary services.  Street improvement is one such service that is outlined in both our Original and Revised Service Plans.  However, the specifics of how this service is implemented plays a major factor in development today as it has over the years.

Our original Service Plan required the Metro District to build the major road network that exists today and ensure all roads were built according to Pueblo County standards.  In an effort to ensure the original development plan was followed, remaining non-major roads were deeded and had right-of-ways’ accepted by the County. These roads were often graded for future developers to visibly see, but were not accepted by the County for maintenance. 

These roads – and any additional created roads through subdivision – were expected to be constructed by developers according to County standards before they would be accepted for maintenance.  It is important to recognize that by existing County and Metro District standards, the developer commonly means either a person or agency seeking to subdivide the land, but it also means the person or persons seeking access to their property from the unconstructed right-of-way.  Public roads must be accepted for maintenance before finalizing certificates of occupancy. This ensures the property is accessible by service providers such as fire, utilities, and other emergency or public services. 

Today, the Metro District has 400 miles of roadways with approximately 85% accepted by the County for maintenance. This leaves 15%, or about 57 miles of road, designated as unaccepted.  The significance of the County accepting roads for maintenance is that it qualifies these roads to receive state funding through the Highway Users’ Tax Fund.  Additionally, the Metro District has an existing inter-governmental agreement to maintain these County-accepted roads in exchange for this state funding.  Consequently, this requires the Metro District to enforce these standards to ensure the remaining roads are accepted and qualify for funding so that we may maintain them per the agreement.  

With development increasing in areas where accepted roads have not yet been built, it is a requirement that is coming as a surprise to many developers in the area. Unfortunately, this requirement is not labelled on titles or other documentation and requires additional diligence to ascertain. As a current or future resident of Pueblo West, we strongly encourage checking our website where we have posted roadway acceptance status lists before buying, selling, or building in the District.  You also will find the current Pueblo West Roadway Design and Construction Standards available, which can help determine what requirements exist for the intended road construction if it is unaccepted.  

We recommend contacting our Engineering Division at 719-547-9801 or for further clarification, verification, or any questions you may have regarding road status or requirements.  

Facebook Twitter Email